Sunday, August 16, 2009

How to feel like a Morlock among other things….

Hi y'all! I've been living under a rock – and daily, the dramatic and vivacious gets squeezed out of me, as I turn into an investment banking simulacrum. Its not as bad as I make it out to be – its just a different ballgame, and different rules apply, and it promises to be interesting, and worthwhile as things evolve. Here is a list of projects I've been working on:

  • LBOs - German tech/services company; a French industrials company; an automotive services company
  • A Nordic telecom restructuring
  • A UK tech acquisition and,
  • A UK gaming/betting financing situation

Not much to report on other things, for good reason! I sometimes do not even have time to go to the bathroom at work, let alone read anything interesting, including say the WSJ or the FT which in itself is strange. I did get a positive mid-term review, which perked me up. Fingers crossed for a full-time offer.

Then again, I was leaving work at 8 PM on Friday, when my staffer told me that I was over the weekend on a middle-eastern telecom situation and a covenant reset scenario. So between working and conference calls at 10 AM on a Sunday, I moved flats – an act which returned me to civilization, at long last. The new flat has a crescent fountain below, which is kinda nice – I have a thing for water/water-bodies. I also bought some bamboo plants which immediately fixed the chi in the flat. And, I like having a gym/pool/sauna within the complex.

The other bit of interesting news is that I may be in Geneva for my second internship – working with a non-profit affiliated with the WHO (the UN org, not the band) on patent pooling and sourcing strategies for low-cost drugs for HIV, tuberculosis and malaria, for deployment in third-world countries through orgs like the Red Cross.

I promise to be more interesting and fun the next time I blog – until then enjoy the comedic stylings of Omid Djalili.

No comments: